Souper!

Lunch Break

Last Saturday’s Soup and a Roll provided a chance to catch up with friends and visitors over a light lunch.  A select – and very sociable – group enjoyed homemade soup and bread, rolls and tray bakes.

 

Tai Chi Time

Weekly Tai Chi classes will be held in the Hall from Wednesday 27th September at images10.00 am with Liz Jennings.  All abilities (or none!) are welcome and the cost will be £4.00 per session.

For further information please contact Julia Lane.

 

Book Club

The Book Club reports:

At our last meeting, we discussed Dead Water by Ann Cleeves making comparisons with the televised Shetland series featuring Douglas Henshall as the detective Jimmy Perez. The books and television series are popular with most of the group despite a loose interpretation of some of the events in the books.

We also compared this dramatisation with the BBC Cormoran Strike series that has just finished on BBC 1, and felt the firm hand of J K Rowling in ensuring the accuracy of the portrayals of characters and events. The consensus was that the Strike dramatisation is captivating and very true to the books.

The book for discussion at the next meeting is The Dry by Jane Harper. It is a crime thriller set in small town Australia during a drought. This should provide an exciting discussion for those of us in the group who read a lot of crime fiction. The Dry won the Gold Australian Book Industry Award for Book of the Year and is described as being packed with sneaky moves and teasing possibilities  that keep the reader guessing…..

Janet Maslin of the New York Times describes it as ‘a breathless page-turner‘ and it was a recent Book at Bedtime on BBC Radio 4.  It will be interesting for the group to compare the approach of Aaron Falk, the detective who returns to his childhood hometown to solve the crime and make links with the past, with that of Jimmy Perez and Cormoran Strike.

Could be a lively discussion!!

The date of the next meeting is Wednesday 11th October.

 

Forthcoming Events

The Fearnan Village Association’s last Coffee Morning  for this year will be on October 17th, 10.30 – 12.00 in the McLean Hall, Fearnan. Freshly baked savouries and cakes, fresh coffee and a variety of teas. Everyone is welcome.

Mulled Wine and Mince Pies will be served on Saturday 2nd December at 3pm.  Join us to celebrate the start of the festive season.

 

Glen Lyon & Loch Tay Community Council

We are reproducing the draft Minutes of the recent Community Council Meeting to help keep everyone up-to-date with issues that affect our community.  Please note that they will remain as draft Minutes until they are approved at the  next meeting on 9th November.

Please also note the mention of the multi-agency meeting in Fearnan Village Hall on 22nd September, part of which is open to the public.

Draft Minutes of the CC meeting held on 7th September 2017, in Fearnan

Present: S. Gardener, chair, K.Douthwaite, vice-chair, J.Riddell, treasurer, S.Dorey, secretary, Cllrs I. Campbell & X. McDade and 10 members of the public.

Apologies: W. Graham, T. Da Silva, C. Brook & Police Scotland.

Minutes of the last meeting at The Big Shed on 13th July 2017, were accepted, proposed by SD & seconded by KD.

Police Report:

PS McNaughton had contacted SG by email as there would be no police presence at the meeting. The police sent details of a break in & theft of tools from a house between Fearnan & Lawers. They also drew the meeting’s attention to the fact that if there is a noise problem, or any antisocial behaviour e.g. drunken behaviour, fly tipping, verbal abuse, drug dealing, members of the public should phone 101 or the PKC Anti-social Behaviour Team on 01738 476173.

Commanders Meeting:

SD reported back on the Commander’s meeting she attended in August.

Tomdarroch:

Another Amenity Order has been served. The pigs at Culderbeg are still being monitored by Animal Welfare.

There will be a multi-agency meeting in Fearnan Village Hall on 22nd September at 2.30 pm. The public are invited to attend from 3.30 – 4.30 to hear the latest developments.

Finance:

The defibrillator costs have been paid. Current balance is £768.11.

 Planning:

Old Lawers: siting of containers. The application was refused. Applicant has appealed the refusal. Local Review Body Hearing will be on 12.9.17 The CC sent another letter in support of the Refusal.

Boreland Farm: change of use application. SG stated the need to differentiated between what was legitimate CC business and what was a dispute between neighbours. WG & SG saw X.McD at his surgery at The Big Shed on 18/08/17 to discuss compatibility, impact on the amenity of residential properties, impact on existing tourist businesses in Fearnan, the front cabin, effects of extra traffic through Dalchiaran, noise and other antisocial behaviour from stag parties. At the request of Carol Scambler, Shoreside, SG presented 3 points on her behalf concerning: 1) The path being put in by Boreland farm owners from the farm to its section of lochside – little comment apart from general agreement that diverting BF guests away from the village was a good thing; 2) Music curfew of 11 pm in line with licensing laws – meeting accepted as reasonable; 3) Outside curfew of 9 pm was considered to be unreasonable and unenforceable.

IC suggested the BF owners hold a Community Consultation before the application goes to the Development Management Committee (DMC). The meeting agreed – SG to contact owners with proposal.

Application to go to DMC in October. Cllr X. McD to continue lobbying.

Planning List: update was handed out.

 Health & Safety:

Defibrillators – SG had a meeting with Mairi Speedie at the Ben Lawers Hotel on 03/07/17 to check on the progress of the defibrillator. All now completed. CC article in the Breadalbane Quair about the new defibrillator at the Ben Lawers Hotel.

Ambulance Service – KD will attended the meeting in October and confirm that all defibrillators are registered. SD confirmed that all defibrillators in Glen Lyon are registered and Claire Harding is taking steps to make her one more easily available.

Roads:

SG presented summary of email from IC following last meeting

1) Tir Artair – damaged wall repaired

2) Rynachulaich Farm – traffic lights – no imminent safety hazard – no imminent   repair

3) Old School House barrier – deteriorating culvert – work planned Autumn 2017

4) A827 opposite Boreland Farm – collapse of retaining embankment – traffic lights – work scheduled October 2017

Garth – KD informed meeting that some residents are not sure now if they want a sign or not. Consultation meeting between M.Kennedy (Roads), SG and TdaS didn’t take place.

Fortingall – D. Gillespie addressed the meeting re. new signs. The 30 mph sign will be extended to the junction with Glen Lyon & the entrance to Fortingall from the Coshieville direction. Further consultation to take place. No definite plans for work on the Lyon Bridge or the one at Bridge of Balgie.

Broadband:

Application to erect an Emergency Service Mast near Cashlie Power Station, Glen Lyon, did not receive any unfavourable comments.

AB Internet has been taken over by Bogons, transition went well & subscribers now have a Comrie contact in stead of Lincoln.

Lyon Internet – P.Heyes addressed meeting on progress – slow and difficult recently. Decision to be made by mid November between going with R100 or Openreach – further consultation likely.

Fibre Optic – X.McD informed meeting of intention to get fibre optic to parts of Fearnan before end of 2018. Long discussion followed.

Fearnan War Memorial:

The CC has heard nothing more from PKC. IC will chase up.

Correspondence received:

Tayside NHS consultation – Shaping Surgical Services.

Emergency services network consultation

Mental Health Redesign consultation

Scottish Fire & Rescue Local Plan consultation

Scottish Heritage Angel awards

Perthshire Society of Natural Science invitation

Breadalbane Heritage Society re-launch invitation – SG will attend.

AOCB:

South Chesthill Restocking Consultation: replant in one go 2017/18. P.Heyes expressed concerns. SG to send PH copy of proposal – comments by 28/09/17

Timber Lorry Incident: Local resident reported a major delay caused by a timber lorry driving from the Fearnan direction towards Coshieville, meeting traffic & horse boxes at Garth. She notified the police & IC , IC also notified the police but apart from getting an incident number, there has been no further contact. Problems of timber lorries in area discussed.

BT phone boxes: SD reported problems because they do not accept the new £1 coins. SD to contact BT.

Next meeting: Thursday 9th November at the Molteno Hall, Fortingall at 7.30 pm

 N.B Digital copies of Minutes can be obtained by emailing stelladorey@btinternet.com

 

Update on CC Minutes:

Since the Community Council Meeting, the Appeal against the refusal to allow the siting of 2 containers on ground at Old Lawers has been turned down and Boreland Farm have declined the suggestion of a Community Consultation on their planning proposal as it is not a mandatory part of the planning process in this instance.

 

 

 

About Fearnan Village Association

Fearnan Village Association was formed in 2007 to provide a means through which those who live in the village can come together to discuss and respond to issues of importance to the village, particularly those that will have an impact on our quality of life. We also organise social events, such as the very popular Pudding Night in February, Strawberry TeaZ in July, and other events and coffee mornings throughout the year.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s